Sunday, June 22, 2014

Skinny Sunday - Rice is Nice In A Bowl Made by 'Muddy Me'

Welcome to another
Skinny Sunday!

Getting right to the point...
I was never much of a 'rice' person.
In the past, I would have rather used my points
on almost any other 'carb'...
and really, that was just fine...
since no matter how I tried...
I could never cook rice right!
On the stove it boiled over...
what a mess!
I tried the microwave for awhile...
that worked pretty good...
until we changed microwaves....
never the same after.

Last fall the Spouse and I treated ourselves
to lunch at P.F. Changs for the very first time.
(but not the last...oh no...there were more!)

Trying to eat healthy...
we opted for steamed brown rice.

WE. LOVED.IT!

Brown rice is much healthier...
more flavorful...
without a lot of fuss...
love the nutty taste...
1/2 Cup is pretty filling for only 3pp
but even better...
when I'm following either the
WW Simple Start or Simply Filling plan...
it's a
POWER FOOD!
(no counting points! yey)

Determined  to make it a part of our usual fare...
I knew I had only one choice....
so I put on my big girl panties...
I admitted defeat with my rice cooking skills...
I admitted I needed all the help I could get...
bought a new toy!

Yes...a Rice Cooker!
Lookie Look...there's even a setting for Brown Rice!

Good Bye sticky-icky-over boiled pots....
No more rice that goes Crrrrunch when it's not supposed to!

Perfect Rice Everytime!
(gosh...I feel like a commercial...like I should be selling salad masters or something)

This model isn't fancy...but it does the trick!
It's also a steamer...
someday I'll try that...
but not rushing there...
(you might remember I'm not a huge fan
of anything steamed
sorry Mom)

Our favorite rice is
It's our favorite because:
a) we can buy it at the Navy Commissary
b) the price is right!

I usually cook up 2 Cups (dry) at a time...
adding 1 T of Brummel & Brown spread
and a pinch or two of salt
before the cooking starts.

When done...
just a little freshly ground pepper does the trick...
but my absolute **FAV** is when dear Spouse
sautes mushrooms, zucchini & brussells with Ponzu sauce...
then adds some rice just before serving...
for his version of a 'stir-fry' treat!

When enjoying our meals...
(and I guess you can tell we are pretty much in love with food...)
part of the pleasure comes from
'presentation'
I'm not talking white linen table cloths and candle light...

(on second thought...candles might be nice)

but there's something about eating rice with
chopsticks...
served in a custom made rice bowl.

Dontcha love them?
We surely do!

My BFF Lisa is a wonderful quilter...
surpassed only by her awesomeness in the clay arts!

She makes the most amazing things...
so when I decided we needed rice bowls...
I immediately contacted her, and
Voila!

She made these right away...
even gifted them for our Christmas!
Wasn't that sweet?
What a super surprise!
And...
 sent them with the chopsticks!
Now that is a friend!

If you'd like to take a peek at some of the other goodies Lisa makes...
give her etsy shop a visit...
I love her style...
I love her colors...
I am so blessed to have her as my BFF!
(even if she did laugh 
back in the day
when I told her I cooked my rice
 in the microwave)


One quick eating tip before I go...
Chopsticks are great to slow down your eating!
Unless of course you're adept at using them.
I'm not.
But I'm learning!

- - - - - - - - - -
News Flash!!!!

Do you know about the "Row by Row Experience Shop Hop"?
Don't be left out!
Click HERE for more info!
- - - - - - - - - - -

Thanks for the visit
have a great week










No comments:

Post a Comment

I just love to hear from you and I truly do read every comment. Sometimes life gets a wee bit crazy and I'm not always able to reply to them all...but I'll keep trying! If you are Anonymous or a no-reply blogger, leave your email with your comment, otherwise there's no way I can reply to you - and maybe you're okay with that - but if there's a give-away and you win...you'll never know!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...