Sunday, June 8, 2014

Skinny Sunday....Shun not the Brussels

Welcome to another Skinny Sunday...
a quick recipe to share...

Brussels Sprouts...
I think you either love 'em or hate 'em...
The Spouse and I love them and we're not afraid to admit it.
Our favorite is fresh (vs. frozen)...even better if it comes from our garden...
but we haven't had much luck growing it here in the Florida heat...

(you'd think after almost 30yrs in the south we'd have gotten used to the earlier planting season...
but our Northern roots are pretty well ingrained).

I'm not a big fan of steamed 'anything'...
so we will roast or stir fry our brussels...
or throw them in our veggie soup.

One night I looked in the fridge...
it must have been close to shopping day...
there wasn't much to choose from...
but I had brussels and feta cheese...
so I experimented.
It was good enough that I wrote it down...a keeper.

For the record...I use real, full strength Feta...
no lo-fat or no fat feta cheese for this mouse...(eeewww)
There are some things that I'd rather eat in smaller quantities
and savor the true flavor...
Feta is one of them.

(so sorry...no pics of the finished dish...we were too hungry to grab the camera)
Brussels Sprouts with Garlic and Feta
a WW friendly dish - Serves 2 - 3pp ea (with the Feta)

1) Clean and quarter fresh brussel sprouts (I probably used about 24)
2) In nonstick skillet - add brussel sprouts and 1T Olive Oil - saute about 5 min...
3) Add in a big ole spoonful of minced garlic (ya know, from the jar...I'm easy)
4) Saute on a lower heat so as not to burn the garlic...Adding a few good shakes of Mrs.Dash Tomato/Basil seasoning (or Basil, or Oregano or whatever you like)
5) Continue stirring so nothing sticks (I should have used some non stick spray but I forgot)...maybe another 5 minutes or so give or take
6) Add a little Balsamic Vinegar (sorry, can't tell you how much - I keep mine in a spray bottle and gave it 3-4 good squirts)...stir stir
7) Squirt just a tad of lemon juice....add salt and pepper to suit you.
8) Continue to cook until sprouts look 'glazed' - I like mine crunchy...so it wasn't much longer...Then sprinkle with just a hint of Parmesan Cheese - stir
9) Divide into two servings....You're at roughly 2pp now and tasty to eat as is....OR
10) Sprinkle 1T Feta Crumbles over each serving - add another 1pp but imho - the feta REALLY makes it!

Have a great week!

2 comments:

  1. Am a brussel sprout lover!! Just had them last night for dinner, but not the elegant dish you served. Mine were frozen, cooked to death in the microwave and liberally sprinkled at the beginning, then half way through the cooking with lots of Zaterains Big and Zesty Garlic and Creole Seasoning....yum! For a night when you want to do nothing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooo...Thanks Mary Pat...will be stocking the pantry shelves today and I'm going to look for that seasoning...we love ANYTHING GARLIC - no worries about vampires at OUR house! ((SMILE))

      Delete

I just love to hear from you and I truly do read every comment. Sometimes life gets a wee bit crazy and I'm not always able to reply to them all...but I'll keep trying! If you are Anonymous or a no-reply blogger, leave your email with your comment, otherwise there's no way I can reply to you - and maybe you're okay with that - but if there's a give-away and you win...you'll never know!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...