Monday, April 23, 2018

30 Quilt Blocks in 30 Days Blog Hop : Opposites Attract

I'm so happy to be here joining in the fun
with our hostess
along with a super line up of absolutely awesome quilters for the
"30 Quilt Blocks in 30 Days Blog Hop"

It's my day today, and my block is "Opposites Attract"

You can find the full tutorial to make the block by clicking here! 

I decided to play with some batiks to make a tray mat.
I'm really into tray mats lately!

Below you'll see the progression of the blocks - I made two!

Here are the two blocks sewn together, and finished for the tray.

(okay, yes it's the same fabric! I really need to work on my picture skills!)

I added a simple border to the top and bottom of the mat so it would fit the tray
without sliding about....nothing worse than a slippery mat, wouldn't you say?


You can see in the close up above,
that I added a little flange of the orange fabric before adding the binding. 
I also decided I wasn't in the mood for a flippy flange....so I sewed it down!


This picture above taken outside probably shows the truest colors
(and for the record, that is not poison ivy, or poison anything....at least I don't think so)
 -scritch scritch-


When Carla first asked me to join in - I purposely chose this block so that I would be
"inclined" to make a quilt that would become a present for my super fabulous nephew and his wife.
I asked him for his favorite colors...
and it did my little mouse heart so fine when he chose Red & Black
which also happen to be favorites of mine! Must be in the 'genes' ((Smile))

Hubbahubbs suggested I use our recently arrived Fossil Ferns - he's so brilliant!


And now for a little mouse magic - 
because you know I kinda tend to do the "Opposite" of what's expected 
(see what I did there? lol)

If you simply switch the placement of the two halves
when you sew them together,
you'll easily get the block below.


I made 30 blocks this way for a 5 x 6 layout.
Simple Borders (also cut 3") follow along with the theme of the block.

[[ Please excuse the less than wonderful picture that follows...
mother nature was not cooperating and I was 
taking pictures between the raindrops !]]

I'll be back when the quilt is finished for a pretty picture then! *wink*


I was 'on the fence' about using only two fabrics...
(I'm happiest using at least one hundred and two)
but I'm thrilled with the way it turned out!



Meanwhile....it's spring and the Jasmine is in bloom,
which has absolutely nothing to do with the theme....
but sure made a pretty picture!


Thanks for visiting....I hope you're enjoying the hop!

If you Instagram...you can find me by clicking HERE

Lynn
The Thimblemouse

Here's the full schedule in case you're just joining in - 
or even if you've been here all along....
it's always good to know who's who, when and where to find them!


Date
Project Designer
Block

April 1st

Block 1- 4 Patch
April 2nd

Block 2 - Double Stuffed
April 3rd

April 4th
Block 4 - Dutch Door

April 5th

April 6th
Block 6 - Tacked Up

April 7th
Block 7 - Stripper

April 8th
Block 8 - Staggered

April 9th
Block 9 - Topsy Turvy

April 10th
Block 10 - Chunky Pinwheel

April 11th
Block 11 - Painted WIndow

April 12th
Block 12 - Broken Cinder Block

April 13th
Block 13 - Reaction

April 14th
Block 14 - Median Strip

April 15th
Block 15 - Center of Attention

April 16th

Block 16 - Bounce
April 17th

Block 17 - Sweet Sixteen
April 18th

Block 18 - Yeah Eights
April 19th

Block 19 - Weave
April 20th

Block 20 - Classic
April 21st

Block 21 - Spot
April 22nd

Block 22 - Cross Walk
April 23rd

Block 23 - Opposites Attract
April 24th

Block 24 - Possibility
April 25th

Block 25 - Camper Window
April 26th

Block 26 - Catching Z's
April 27th

Block 27 - Broken Stripes
April 28th

Block 28 - Stockade
April 29th

Block 29 - Dovetail
April 30th


Block 30 - Slow Tee














28 comments:

  1. I love the colors. Orange just pops right out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just lovely! I like the different colored corners on the red and black quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought the tray mat was really cool--like the little orange flange you added too--and then I saw the red & black quilt top--wow! Love those 2 colors and flipping the block halves around was genius! I like what you did with the borders too. Your nephew will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how you make me giggle. Love what you did with the Opposites Attract block. Your tray mat is fantastic (I need to do that) and your quilt is over the top. I love how you did the red and black border for it too. Thank you for joining me in this crazy vision for a blog hop. I'm so glad to see you revive your blog. I've missed you. The 30 Quilt Blocks in 30 Days Blog Hop and Quilt Along is hopefully just the start of many hops to come. THANK YOU for a great post and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Opposites Attract is such a cool block with so many variations! Love blocks like that. I agree that limiting yourself to 2 colors is so hard! But the end result really pays off...great projects and such great eye candy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice color combos that work great on this block idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both of your Opposite projects are great. The tray mat looks wonderful and the black and white is so dramatic looking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the idea of a tray mat. Yours turned out really well with the added top borders. The black and red quilt is really nice too. Your nephew is sure to be pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh boy that BLACK and red QUILT is HOT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the idea for the tray mat, and the quilt will be so nice as a gift. I also love your blog name. Too cute!

    https://prayersformymom.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. The red and black quilt is so striking, love it. 😍😍😍

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the black and red version!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL!!!! Scritch Scritch...you crack me up!!!!! I love the red and black quilt. Makes me think of Disney. I just might have to play with a Mickey Mouse quilt and these blocks! Inspiration...that's what it's all about. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The tray mat is great, and I like the sewn down flange. The red and black is striking. With the way you did the borders on the corner, I had to look twice to see how you got that great effect!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's amazing how different it looks by just flipping it around. I love the tray mat and that quilt...very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like the red and black quilt, but I really love that tray! Nice colors.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How clever to make a mat for the serving tray!!! I don't use my trays much because stuff slides around on it. This is a perfect solution. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those are both awesome designs of how to put the blocks together. Thanks for participating in the blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like two color quilts, but have yet to make one. Wonderful idea...tray mat.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The black and red quilt is outstanding!
    nikilsend(at)outlook(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great block! I love the colors

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the idea of a tray mat. I need one, I have a tray that I never use because I hate the bottom. You made my day. Back to your block, I noticed in the tray mat version that the center made the second pattern that you used in your nephew's quilt. Both projects are terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fun versions of a cute block, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your tray mat caver is a great idea! I have a few that would look so much prettier with a cover such as yours. I also think that your red and black fabric combination is a fabulous combination and make this quilt so lovely! Thank you for sharing and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am really enjoying this blog hop! And it is so good to see you back again. You always make me laugh. Thanks!

    Please click on the delaineelliott above for my email link.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Nice quilt! I like the tray mat, too!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great job on both projetcs. I definitely need to try my hand at a two color quilt too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I just love to hear from you and I truly do read every comment. Sometimes life gets a wee bit crazy and I'm not always able to reply to them all...but I'll keep trying! If you are Anonymous or a no-reply blogger, leave your email with your comment, otherwise there's no way I can reply to you - and maybe you're okay with that - but if there's a give-away and you win...you'll never know!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...